Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Real Housewives of DC Officially to Air on Bravo



A round of applause goes out to the genius at Bravo TV who thought of putting cameras in the households of affluent housewives for all Americans to get an insider view of high society.  I have never really been a fan of the Real Housewives of Orange County because I jumped on the Housewives series bandwagon a bit late.  

The Real Housewives of Atlanta was my guilty pleasure. There was never a dull moment when African American women with disposable incomes run amuck in Atlanta boasting about their ball player husbands and how "classy" they were. I picked up Real Housewives of New York City in its second season and immediately fell in love.  I related to Bethenny Frankel, the youngest on the show, who was neither a housewive nor a super wealthy woman. She was busting her but making her own money in New York City, which is what most people end up doing anyway.  In the past few months, I've also gotten onto the New Jersey train with the dark and twisted Italian families that run Jersey. It was only a matter of time before Washington, DC got its own Real Housewives show.

Word of the new DC housewives casting by Bravo was a thinly veiled secret.  Those that run in that circle or are in the know knew who eventually was picked. As a member of the Washington press corps, I knew of the women that would be on the show.  I even went to the taping of one of the first episodes at Ted Gibson Salon in Chevy Chase.  I, along with every media professional has been instructed by Bravo and publicist to use the word "RUMORED" before Real Housewives of DC cast member in articles and blog posts. Mary Amons, is by far my favorite of the bunch. She carries herself very well, is respectful and know how to have fun. As a mother and a socialite, Mary has dedicated herself to fusing fashion and philanthropy to help some of the most under represented charities in Washington. Her Labels for Love charity hosts a twice a year samples sale, District Sample Sale or DSS, that brings DC fashionistas out in the masses all in the name of fashion. I am guessing she will be the sweetheart of the show.

Lynda Erkiletian, owner of T.H.E Artist Agency is another housewife I've worked with and am familiar with.  I worked with her and her agency this year on the Second Annual Couture for a Cure Runway Show featuring DKNY. The drama that ensued in working with her and her agency was worthy of being shown on the show.  She is a confident woman with a strong personality. One that has worked for all her success and doesn't apologize for enjoying the fruits of her labor. She is also dating my friend Ebong, a budding menswear designer and a fellow African, he's from Nigeria. I can't wait to see her interactions on the show and how Ebong is portrayed, though I'm a bit worried about the backlash he will receive. (more on that later)

I haven't really seen Stacie Scott Turner around, nor have I met her so I will keep my comments brief. I think it's great to see an African American woman on the show since Washington is made up of predominantly black people. I am curious to see how she comes off on the show. It will be nice to see an affluent black couple in high society, since we seldom see that in Washington. I would say the "Old Guard" isn't really welcoming to different race and ethnicities. Not saying they are racist, just that they would prefer to keep the color lines separated (in my opinion).

The most infamous character on the show is Michaele Salahi, whose White House State Dinner crashing antics is sure to give the Real Housewives of DC extremely high ratings.  Say what you will about this waif straw-haired maven but one thing you have to credit her for is her ambition. She and her hubbie have tried relentlessly to crawl their way into high society.  Though they are well known, I don't think the door is seldom open freely for them to enjoy the perks of being a legit socialite.  You could say the Salahis are the black sheep of Washington society.  Who doesn't have one of those? She and her husband Tareq will be amusing to watch and I have to admit that I can't wait to see the infamous White House crashing.  As much as people talk about them, I know that they can't get enough of them. They are a total train wreck that just keeps on going and going. Her antics are legendary and I'm waiting to see if the skeletons in her closet will be revealed on the show. Like her attending Washington Redskins Cheerleader reunions and pretending to be one for years even though she was never part of the organization. She is rumored to have gotten her hands on one of the cheerleader costumes and took professional photos in them to make it seem as though she was a member.

I hope these women will use their day in the sun for good by bringing awareness to the various charities they work with. If the other Housewives show are any indication of DC's success, I will have to say there will be drama, tears, boozing and fighting. I wonder who will reveal their secret talent of becoming a "singer," or the next "Council member of Washington, DC."

The Real Housewives of DC airs on Thursday, August 5 at 9:00pm and I am sure there will be some sort of exclusive viewing party for it. Watch what happens....

No comments:

Post a Comment